Wednesday, January 6, 2010

DIY Custom Storage Cubes

When we moved into our house it didn't have any closets, not one! We have gradually added closets and cupboards as we have remodeled but there is still a serious storage issue in our house. I love the storage cubes that can double as ottomans and be set together for a type of coffee table; but I haven't ever seen any that I like for my house, and are affordable.

What's a girl to do? Make my own, of course. I used the same fabric and milk crates from this post and they look suspiciously similar. I originally took pictures to put a tutorial together, but with all my picture re-organization this last month, these are the only two that survived.

I started with this:

I wrapped the crate with thin batting, it is just hot glued onto the basket. After the batting was on the crate, I set it in the middle of the upholstery fabric and wrapped the basket like a present. I didn't worry too much about the edges on the inside, because I planned to line the basket. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of starting to use them right away because I had run out of fabric; and now I have never gotten around to lining them.

After the outside was covered and the corners were folded in nicely (just like making a bed), I cut a piece of 3/4" plywood just a bit larger than the top of the crate for the lid. Using a piece of 1"seat cushion foam, and more fabric I covered the top of the plywood lid just like you would cover a seat cushion for a chair.

I used two hinges screwed directly into the plywood and the top edge of the crate to attach the lid. I was nervous that the screws would work out of the crate since it is just plastic but I couldn't think of another way to attach them.

After the lid was on, I folded the edges under on and lined the lid with another piece of fabric, this edge does show a lot so it was important to make sure it was lined well.

We have enjoyed these boxes, they are used for extra seating, particularly for playing video games, I store magazines and toys in them. And amazingly enough, they have held up to my crazy crew. Now that we have lived with them for a while, the only thing that I will change when I make some for my kids' rooms is to add small wooden feet. I lift and carry them, but of course, my kids scoot them across the floor, and the fabric on the bottom is beginning to wear.

What do you think? I would love to see any ideas you have for storage issues, especially in small spaces.

I am linking to:
Shanty 2 Chic

9 comments:

  1. What a fabulous idea. How smart you are for providing a cute way for storage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic idea for those ugly crates!!! One can NEVER have enough storage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a terrific reuse idea! I actually love old milk crates for their strength, and now you've shown how to make them beautiful, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful idea! They turned out cute! :)
    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea! I can't wait to get started on 3 for our playroom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea. We are redoing our boys room and I want ottomans to sit on and for storage. It is a small room and with 2 twin captians beds (my husband made) with very deep drawers we have no room for furniture that can not move out of the way. I am going to show this to my husband. Thanks for sharing. CA in KC

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I love this!! I knew there was a way to DIY, but was not creative enough to come up with a way!! TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally Awesome - love it !
    Kammy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spacify offers modern, designer leather and storage ottoman and ottomans in contemporary style.

    storage ottomans

    ReplyDelete