Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Just One More Winter Meal (hopefully)

One of my favorite meals in the winter is chili and cornbread. It doesn't take a terribly long time to make and I love the way it simmers on the stove and smells so good. Even though the last couple of days have been nice and warm --I even mowed the lawn for 4 1/2 hours yesterday-- today it has snowed and rained for the majority of the day. I figured that I could make this meal one more time before spring (wishful thinking really, I am ready for spring!)

When we were married my husband informed me that he didn't like cornbread!?! I couldn't believe it, who doesn't like cornbread? Just kidding, but I was on a quest to find a recipe that we both like. I love to try new recipes and move on, but this one is a keeper! I have used this same recipe for the past several years. It is the BEST!!! (no offense to anyone else who also makes the BEST cornbread).

It is a sweet cornbread which I think balances out the spice of the chili very nicely. Try it, and let me know what you think.


The BEST Cornbread

1/2 cup butter, melted (no substitutions, really why would you want to?)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup cornmeal
1 1/2 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup milk

Mix butter, sugar and eggs. In a separate bowl combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Add to the butter mixture, mix just until combined. Add the milk 1/2 cup at a time. The mixture will be quite runny. Pour into a greased 9" pan. Bake at 375 for 40 minutes or until golden brown on top.

We make two pans at a time at our house, and eat it all!

Please excuse my food photography, I am definitely not an accomplished food photographer.

No comments:

Post a Comment